Thursday, September 18, 2008
Do not eat the tomalley! No, not even if you wanted to eat the tomalley. Tomalley (wiki) is the soft, green substance found in the body cavity of a lobster that functions as the liver and pancreas. Puh-Yuke!
Anyway, eating that glop is as bad for you as it is for the poor lobster you had boiled alive. That organ chamber (or whatever you want to call it) is loaded with the toxins responsible for PSP, or Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (read all about it here).
From the article:
Symptoms of PSP include tingling and/or numbness of the mouth, face or neck; muscle weakness; headache; and nausea. In extreme cases, when large amounts of the toxin are consumed, these symptoms can lead to respiratory failure and death. Symptoms usually occur within two hours of exposure to the toxin. Anyone experiencing these symptoms should seek medical attention.More from Web MD here.
Talk about asking for it!